"The King's Cup"
Extract from The Sketch dated September 2 1903
"His Majesty the King has presented a magnificent silver trophy to the Royal Dorset Yacht Club. Designed and manufactured by the King’s Silversmiths, the Goldsmiths and Silversmiths Company, Limited, of 112, Regent’s Street, it is a solid silver copy and cover, the whole heavily gilt. The body of the cup has exquisitely chased marine foliage; the handles consists of two vigorously modelled sea-horses, while the cover is surmounted by the figure of a young Triton."
Clubhouse Ground Floor in 1926
Our present clubhouse was originally built in 1866 as the Sailor's Bethel (or church). It was then used as a Seamen's Institute before the Club took up residence in 1975.
The Bethel, designed in a Venetian style, cost around £700 and opened in June 1866.
The original clubhouse was in York Buildings on the Esplanade in Weymouth. This is now a listed building and occupied by a restaurant.
Our present clubhouse...
The plaque on the clubhouse
The Royal Dorset Yacht Club has hosted the Weymouth Regatta from the earliest times. This is the programme from 1920.
Note that the fleet of yachts exceeding 70 tons TM is led by His Majesty George V in Brittania.
Some 'snippets' from our long history - click on the images to enlarge.